JACOB'S TURN ... UPWARDS


1. Jacob's plead

a) 9Then Jacob prayed, “O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, Lord, you who said to me, ‘Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,’ 10I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps. 11Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. 12But you have said, ‘I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.’ ” (Genesis 32:9-12 NIV)

2. Jacob's turn ... upwards

a) We read of Jacob praying to God, pleading for mercy and protection as he prepared to meet his brother, Esau. He was worried that Esau might annihilate (destroy completely) him and his household.

b) In the prayer he acknowledged that, “I had only my staff when I crossed the Jordan, but now I have become two groups …” (Talks about increase, multiply, expand, enlarge, more than before etc).

c) Now Jacob had increased and expanded in posterity (succeeding generations) and prosperity (good fortune, wealth, success). What a confession, “I had only my staff …”. Do you remember a time when you have so little, not able to meet your household commitments, you have the only means at hand. You desire for the ability to meet all your commitments and way beyond. Perhaps, you wanted to be a blessing even to others.

d) When Jacob first crossed the Jordan to go to Padan-Aram, he was alone. There was on one to accompany him. There was no one to defend him. He was a forlorn (abandoned, deserted) stranger and a despised pilgrim in search of survival. He was a fugitive on the run. The staff was his sole company.

e) Now he could celebrate his success. From a desolate (lonely, forsaken) fugitive he has grown into a prosperous businessman.

@1. Highlights:

i) The day he crossed the Jordan and entered Padan-Aram nothing could stop him from rising up. Maybe, we need to cross Jordan to experience the breakthrough. Many hesitated. Maybe, we need to take the first step of faith in believing God to turnaround your situations – from desolation to celebration.

ii) Don’t we see today some who see a decrease and decline in their lives. The spiritual vigor (strength) has declined, the glow has gone, the joy has diminished, the finances have collapsed and faith has decreased. The decline keeps sliding downwards gradually till there is a total collapse. There is failure and depression (gloomy, dejected, sad). For too long they have never seen an increase! It goes on like a spiral. No end. There is constant pain and frustration. The fear of decline further eats into the soul. It looks like it can never be reversed.

iii) Perhaps, some who have come under a decrease, should fervently pray over Genesis 32: 10 (“I had only my staff …”.) Will not the God of Jacob revisit the desolate Jacobs of today?

iv) Perhaps, some need a Bethel kind of experience, not in literal sense, but of God visiting them in a fresh way. When God met Jacob at Luz (later named Bethel) he was tired and weary. He was unsure of the future ahead and that is why he cried out “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s house, then the Lord will be my God” (Genesis 28: 20 – 21).

f) At Bethel he entered into a personal relationship with the God of Abraham. And at Bethel he had his spirit revived. A new confidence gripped him. A new vision was born. A vow was pledged. He was spiritually replenished. Then he woke up to pursue his unfamiliar journey to Padan-Aram.

@1. Highlights:

i) Some of us might have to walk an unfamiliar route ahead of us. It doesn’t matter. But we might have to our own Bethel and ask God to visit us anew and refresh us with new faith. Perhaps, make a commitment to him.

ii) Perhaps some might be in a situation like the Laban stronghold (Like Jacob who had to work for Laban for 20 years – 7 years for Leah, 7 years for Rachel and 6 years for taking care of his sheep.) May the good Lord cause his favor to shine in that darkened stronghold so that you will be honored and in high esteem. May they see God with you and plead with you and even say, “Please stay.”

iii) 14This is what the Lord says: “The products of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush, and those tall Sabeans— they will come over to you and will be yours; they will trudge behind you, coming over to you in chains. They will bow down before you and plead with you, saying, ‘Surely God is with you, and there is no other; there is no other god.’ ” (Isaiah 45:14 NIV)

3. Prayer focus

a) How about us? Are our turn .. upwards? Then, pray to the God of impossibilities. 

Comments