"THE UGLY & THE BAD"


1. Story of "The Ugly & The Bad".

a) The story of "The Ugly & The Bad" is actually about the Pharisee & the corrupt tax collector.

i) 9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ 14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14 NIV)

2. What can we learnt from this story?

a) In the story of the Pharisee and the tax collector; two men went to the temple and prayed. One of these men was a Pharisee that did his best not to sin. The second man was a corrupt tax collector. Naturally you would think that God would favor the Pharisee over the tax collector.

b) When the Pharisee prayed he said to God "I thank you God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don't cheat, I don't sin and I don't commit adultery. I'm certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income."

c) Even though the Pharisee might try not to sin, it's not possible. So when the Pharisee says he doesn't sin he is lying, and lying too is a sin so he probably sins a good bit. Of course sin can be forgiven. The Pharisee's biggest problem is that he is boastful. When we pray to God we should not brag about how awesome we are and we definitely shouldn't thank God that we're better than somebody else.

d) The tax collector on the other hand was corrupt but when he prayed to God he said "O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner."

e) Even though the tax collector is a sinner he admits that he is a sinner and he asks God for mercy. This is what we should all do. Even the Pharisee, who may have been living a much better life than the tax collector, should admit that he is a sinner and ask God for forgiveness.

f) The lesson in this parable is humility.

i) 14“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (Luke 18:14 NIV)

3. Prayer focus

a) Pray that we put on humility in our service to help others and to God. 

Comments